Monday, January 26, 2009

These Girls are on my Heart



I watched this video from a friends facebook profile this morning. I pretty much broke down crying, and it brought back that place in my heart that I have for girls such as this one. The fact is, sex trafficking happens ALL the time. People, especially people in America, are often uneducated and ignorant on the toppic of human trafficking. We tend to think that prostitution is simply a womans choice, and therfore we accept it. But the truth of the matter is that it is a HUGE industry. Not only in Asia, it happens ALL over the world, especially in the U.S.

The reality of the sex industry and human trafficking was brought to my attention in 2007 when I spent a month in Thailand. We worked with an organization called SHE (Self Help Empowerment). It was during this time, as I walked the bar strips and spent time talking to both the female prostitutes, and the men who were there to purchase them, that my heart really ached for these woman and girls. I know that there is much more that can be done to help abolish modern day slavery, and I think the first thing that needs to be done is to raise more awareness.

Adam and I just returned from Eastern Africa, where we whitnessed a form of sex trafficking first hand. (I will post a blog on this later). The desire in my heart to help these woman and to educate more people is strong, but my head often wonders what can I really do?

No comments: