
Tonight I am just missing my little girl. Adam got Kenya for me for my birthday. We really wanted a dog, but wasn't sure it would work out after our dog Sequoia was hit by a car. We had been looking, but nothing ever seemed right until we found Kenya. We were on our way home from Boise, and accidently took a wrong turn trying to get onto the freeway. So we ended up in a random parking lot, and there was a truck parked there with a sign that said "Akitas for sale". I looked at all the puppies, and they were cute, but none of them really felt right.

We were about to leave when all of a sudden a little girl in the back seat jumped out and said, "wait, there is one more." She was holding this tiny little thing that looked more like a teddy bear than a dog. The minute I picked Kenya up, I knew that she was the right dog. She was so cute, the runt of the litter, and the only girl of nine puppies. Later when we were on our way home, we looked at the calendar and realized that it was Sequoia's birthday, so we knew it was a sign that she was the right dog.

It's amazing how fast you can fall in love with a dog. Adam and I treated and loved her like she was our kid, and she was such a good girl, even when she was a puppy. We started her training to become an avalanche rescue dog, and she loved the snow and going to work at the ski hill with Adam. We taught her to ride the lift with us, and she would run down after us as we skied down. Adam also took her on Cat Ski trips, and his clients always instantly fell in love with her.


Kenya had such an awesome personality, she was really mellow, and was careing. When I was happy, she was happy, and when I was sad, she moped around the house and wined. Every morning she would wake us up with a lick on our face and a little howl, which meant she wanted to go outside to the bathroom.

Because of our living arrangement for the summer, I had to take Kenya to my parents house for awhile until I found a place to be able to have her with me in Fairfield where I am working for the summer. She loved her days on the farm where she could run free, sleep outside, and spend every moment with her boyfriend Sam, my parents lab. I know that she had a great life while she was alive, and although I really miss her, I know that she was better off running free on the farm than stuck inside or chained up all day. The thing that kills me is that she was afraid of cars! My parents live way out in the middle of nowhere, and I really thought that she would be safe there.

But still, I cant help but miss my little girl. The day she was hit by a car, I was going to come and get her in just two more days to take her to live with me. Today Adam is gone fighting fire in California, and I am left all alone, wishing she was here to keep me company like she did so many times before when Adam was gone. I will never forget her, and I think it will be a long time before we decide to get another dog. I know that like people, animals have to die, but she was only 11 months old, and I guess I just wish she could have lived to be an old dog with us. She would have been so amazing. So today, I am bored, a little lonely, and missing my little girl. I really hope there is such thing as dog heaven, and if so, I hope she and Sequoia are livin it up!

2 comments:
Sarah.. I' am so sorry about your puppy:( She looked like a sweetheart:) I think you have a good attitude about it and I think she is having a good time wherever she is. I bet she thinks about you and appreciates how well you guys took care of her while she was here:)
Sarah! I can't believe it! When did this happen??? I was in tears just reading about it. I love you!
Post a Comment