Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Less than a year of books: Inspired by a lovely friend with whom I share my reading obsession.

Books. How I love them. Tonight I read a similar blog from a friend that not only inspired this blog, but left me with a smile in my heart. I will confess I am undoubtedly a complete book nerd. In fact, if one was to for some odd reason try to clean out Adam and my storage, most of the dust ridden boxes that lie within are full of, you guessed it, books. Don't get me wrong, I am usually not one to like to accumulate lots of junk, that is why I can throw almost anything away except books.
I have this secret passion for them. Although I know I will most likely never read most of them again, they are mine, the stories, dog ears, and pen mark underlines have interwoven themselves into my memories. I am also usually one to try to save a little money and in most cases look for a good deal. However, I have not been able to do this with books. I have a love affair with Barnes and Noble, and it hasn't been until recently that I have been able to stop myself from carrying out atleast 5 shiny new expensive books with each visit. Which is why my husband recently reduced my book buying to half.com, which to my utter amazement, I am able to get four times the amount of used books for the price I paid for one measly B&N shiny new book. I have this vision of someday having a house with a cozy den and fireplace surrounded by shelves of books. And not just any books, the very books that are currently sitting in dust covered boxes... all the books I have read! Though often, I find this very contradicting when I stop and realize that my life is defenitely following a more nomadic and non domesticated path at the moment. But it is a lovely thought anyways, to say the least.

So *drum roll* for all of my readers of this blog (which is like 3 people), I present you with some good reads from the past year.

Books I am currently reading: If you aren't very keen on the Sex Trafficking Industry, read The Natashas. Helping these young women and the men consumed in it is one of the passions of my heart.




Here are a few of the books on my waiting list. As you can see i'm kindof on the human trafficking/ slavery kick at the moment. But they look very good.



My most recent topic of choice has been books on the effects of genocide and war in Africa. I have been devouering any book I can get my hands on about the Lost Boys in Sudan, and the effects of the LRA and child soldiers. Not only do I love these books because of my heart for Africa, I have always enjoyed reading African stories and fables. You won't regret reading these, and although they are at times a little harsh, you will definitely find yourself heart wrenched and unable to put most of them down. A few others that I couldn't get pictures for: God Grew Tired of Us, and A Long Way Gone.




Random others that I loved on various topics and issues...






My appologies for the jumble at the end. But it is late, and I am now too tired to try to fix this mess. Enjoy nerds!

*Spell check was broken, so I do not appologize for the misspelled words and run on sentances, ect, but I do acknowledge them.****

2 comments:

michelle said...

mmmmmm .... makes my heart happy.

i'm thinking i shall look for the blue sweater one and the female nomad one. so interesting.

so many girls with dreams of dens and fireplaces :) love it.

and .... i'm dead serious about you coming back to DC -- if only to check out the used book store. you will fall in love and it will change your B&N ways (not that they're bad ... just that they're bad on your wallet!)

love you sarita. glad we can inspire one another.

Spano said...

When I grow up I want a library floor to ceiling with books and one of those ladders you climb and a big comfy chair and fireplace. I hadn't checked out your blog yet. Fun read.