Sunday, December 7, 2008

Uganda!

Our bus ride from Nairobi to Jinja was probley the most terrifying experience either of us have ever had in our lives. Since there are few roads in Africa, they are very poorly paved, with almost every inch of the way jammed with potholes, huge ruts, and half the way the pavement ends, and you are driving dirt roads at speeds up to 100 mph. Along the way we saw atleast 4 wrecks, usually head on collisions, or trucks that rolled from getting too close to the soft dirt. Our bus ride was about 14 hours. Our tickets placed us in the seats just behind the driver, so that we were in full view of the road ahead. There wasnt a single minute during the entire eide that we werent fearing for our lives, but we survived, and have a great story to tell in the future. Although we would never reccomend taking the bus again, it was an amazing expirience, as we got to watch the beautiful countryside pass by out the window. Aside from the scenery, we also saw impalas, zebras, babboons, storks, warthogs, and some other really cool animals.

We are currently in Jinja, a beautiful town, with the nicest people. We love it here! It is so beautiful, and we truely feel lucky to be able to epirience life here. We are camping at a beautiful location at the heart of the Nile river. Internet here is relatively fast, so hopefully we will be able to post a few pictures in the next couple days. As we walked around the town this morning, Adam and I kept saying, "I cant believe we are in Uganda". Never in our lives did we think we would come here, but we are so happy that we did, it is truely an awesome expirience, and it is SO beautiful here!

3 comments:

Frey Girl said...

Your journey sounds sooo amazing! It gave me the chills as I read your blogs. I can't wait to hear about your experience with the family on the farm, what a trip of a lifetime. You two are so great. Love you guys! Keep posting!
-Mrs. Mindie Molli Frey

Private Sector said...

I heard about your guys' adventure from Chris Roebuck, from Christopher & Co Jewelers. I'm a Hailey native, living in Tunisia. He said you guys were traveling the continent I call home, and that you'd spend a little bit of time in Tunisia (though I'm thinking that he is getting Tunisia and Tanzania confused). If you guys are going to be in Tunisia, shoot me an email. bloom104@chapman.edu. I get back over there on January 9, and I'll be there until late August, at least.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck and God bless.

michelle said...

at least it wasn't raining in the bus this time!

glad you made it though!!! :) do some baby aerobics for me, will ya??? :) love you sweet girl!